Thursday, September 8, 2011

A "NEW" Treasure

Over Labor Day weekend,  I found myself some "new" treasures.  My husband doesn't agree, he sees it as junk and more "to do" projects in the garage....which means we are still parking on the driveway.

I have really been wanting shelving units or some form of "organizational" something or other for my office....and I have found them. I got 2 matching 7', solid wood book shelves for FREE.  One of them had been dropped and was broken, but I knew it could be fixed...and Mike did it for me!

1. We laid it face down and removed the staples, they were not very cooperative and kept breaking.  Then we carefully removed the back and we Mike pulled out all of the broken staple pieces.
2. I then held the sides together while Mike nailed them back into place. Now the test...are the shelves level? Yep! We stood it up and put in a couple shelves....
all is good! YEAH!
 Mike headed to bed at this point, and I 
3. Sanded the edges of the backing where the staples had been and cleaned it. 
4. Then I painted it a flat black.
5. I am in love with the quatrefoil pattern, so I created it and cut it out in vinyl, then I applied it to the backing. LOVE it!!
 Now, I am NOT a huge fan of mixing black and brown.  I would normally paint the entire unit, my cousin Ian even called me out on it last night when he saw it put back together. I am striving for a very cohesive feeling in my office, and there is another piece of furniture that I don't want to paint and it will match the stained wood....there really was thought behind mixing the two.
This is it finished, I need to still do the other one, and once I do I will get a better picture. My office is to little to get a really good picture of it where it is sitting for the moment...I just wanted to share!
 I am thrilled with the way it turned out! And I really don't think that the black and brown look that bad together...here!

I am partying here

8 comments:

Decor & Harmony said...

The bookcases look fabulous! I'm your newest follower. Stop by for a blog visit.

Shannon @ DoveNest28 said...

I agree the black and brown look wonderful together! You did a beautiful job!

Margaret said...

I am slightly obsessed with your bookshelf. Since I am slightly obsessed with quatrefoils, haha! As your newest follower, I'd love it if you linked this up to T.G.I.F. (Thank God I'm Finished) Friday at RummageLiving happening RIGHT NOW! http://www.rummageliving.com/2011/09/t-g-i-f-thank-god-im-finished-link-party/

xo,
Margaret@RummageLiving

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Great job on the bookcases! They turned out so well. Found you via Redoux. Toodles, Kathryn
http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2011/08/little-goodwill-finds.html

Mandy said...

Wow! Will definitely keep this in mind next time I work on a book shelf!
Thank you for sharing.
www.projectqueen.org

Deborah March said...

OmiGOSH, absolutely positively GORGEOUS!!! Now DO tell...how did you create this stencil? Did you cut it with a digital cutter? Ooooohhh, what a GORGEOUS result!! Swoooon...

Tiffany Ford said...

This is exactly what I want to do to my bookshelf. That looks incredible!

Thanks for sharing!

Good Time Charlie said...

What a great idea! Love the name of your blog. Very fun, thanks for linking the project up! -K

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...